Nelson is a beautiful coastal city set amongst some of New Zealand's most stunning scenery, and is NZ's most sunniest city with over 2,500 sunshine hours per year. Nelson is the economic and cultural centre for the Nelson-Tasman region and offers an excellent range of shopping, eating and cultural experiences with an abundance of parks, rivers, beaches and nature trails to explore.
Nelson has the largest fishing port in New Zealand and is renowned for its seafood. Because of Nelson's mild climate the region is also famous for it's many vineyards and McCashin’s Brewery.
The Nelson region covers five distinct geographic areas:
- The urban centres of Nelson & Richmond
- The highways of Mapua, Motueka, Moutere, through rolling horticultural land
- The idyllic coastline of Abel Tasman National Park
- The heart of the parks, Golden Bay between Kahurangi and Abel Tasman national parks
- The alpine lakes and rivers around St Arnaud - Nelson Lakes & Murchison including Nelson Lakes and Kahurangi national parks
Visitors to this region have an exciting variety of activities available including kayaking in the national parks, 4 wheel drive adventures, wine & art tours, hiking and vineyards. There is also plenty of different accommodation options to choose from such as self contained motels, hotels, luxury harbourside apartments, boutique lodges and bed & breakfast accommodation.
Scroll down for Nelson/Tasman accommodation & activity listings